THE IMPORTANCE OF GUT HEALTH AND PROBIOTICS
Did you know the Australian government spends approximately 4.5 million dollars per year on digestive diseases? Approximately 7500 Australians die each year from diseases of the digestive system. 40 diseases have also been linked to bacterial imbalance including arthritis, depression, IBS and cancer.
PREVENTION IS KEY!!!
60-80% of our immune system is located in our gut. In addition, our digestive system is the next largest part of our neurological system; this is why it is dubbed our “second brain”.
The key to restoring our gut health is to balance our good and bad bacteria. If you are seeking to maximise your health and vitality and prevent digestive disease and related diseases then you must consider probiotic rich foods and supplements.
Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are extremely good for your digestive system. Probiotics supports your body’s ability to absorb nutrients and fight infection.
Historically our gut health was much better due to our ancestors consuming good bacteria (probiotics) by eating food from good soil and because they fermented their food to keep from spoiling.
These days due to dangerous agricultural practices our foods actually contain harmful antibiotics and which kill off all the good bacteria.
SO WHERE TO FROM HERE?
First we need to understand what kills off our good bacteria.
Below is a list of the most important things to avoid or minimise where possible for ultimate gut health:
- Chemicals and medications
- Prescription antibiotics
- Emotional stress
- Tap water
- Genetically Modified Foods
Below is a list of things we need to do to balance our good and bad bacteria:
- Eat More Sour Foods such as apple cider vinegar, and fermented vegetables.
- Consume More Probiotic-Rich Foods such as Goats milk yoghurt, Greek yoghurt, Kefir, Sauerkraut, Kimchi, Natto, Kvass, Miso and Kombucha
- Increase fibrous foods such as chia seed, flaxseeds and organic fruit and vegetables.
- Supplement with an effective probiotic.
How to choose a good probiotic.
The ensure you are covering everything try to find a probiotic supplement that contains as many of the bacteria’s below as possible:
- Bifidobacterium bifidum
- Bifidobacterium longum
- Bifidobacterium breve
- Bifidobacterium infantis
- Lactobacillus casei
- Lactobacillus acidophilus
- Lactobacillus bulgaricus
- Lactobacillus brevis
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus
- Bacillus subtilis
- Bacillus coagulans
- Saccharomyces boulardii
Also keep in mind the following when choosing your probiotic supplement, ask your local naturopath or natural nutritionist for advice if you are unsure:
- Brand quality (Choose a well reputable brand)
- High CFU count (Choose a supplement that has the highest probiotic count up to 100 billion)
- Strain diversity (Choose a supplement that has anywhere from 10-30 strains)
- Survivability (Ensure your supplement contains bacillus coagulants, saccharomyces boulardii, bacillus subtilis, lactobacillus rhamnosus which ensure the good bacteria makes it into our gut to colonize)
- Stability (Probiotics need to be kept cold)
- Date (The fresher the better)
- Living vs. dead: “Live and active cultures”
- Bacteria type: “Live and active cultures”
- Potency (The higher number the better up to 1 trillion CFU’s)
BENEFITS OF BALANCING THE GOOD AND BAD BACTERIA IN YOUR GUT
- Assists with fat loss
- Decreases risks of cancer
- Boosts our immune system
- Treats constipation
- Prevents kidney stones
- Destroys toxins in the digestive system
- Decreases migraines, headaches and inflammation in the body
- Decreases bloating
- Assists with the digestion of food
- Helps to keep our colon clean
- Destroys parasites in our intestines
- Reduces heartburn/reflux
- Reduces asthma and hay fever
- Helps keep skin clear
- Lowers moderate to high blood pressure
- Improves lactose sensitivities and helps with symptoms lactose allergies
- Increases absorption of vitamins
- Reduces cholesterol
- Decreases yeast infections
- Prevents and treats urinary tract infections
- Improves digestive function
- Heals inflammatory bowel conditions such as IBS
- Manages and prevents eczema in children
If you are needing a personalised nutrition plan designed to improve your gut health call us now on (07) 55220846. All our Gold Coast Personal Trainers are specialised in natural nutrition.